Wednesday, May 03, 2006

First day of work

Today was the first day of my new job on the heath. I was so excited. I had to first go to the head office to fill in some paperwork. We then had the task of finding uniforms, and believe me they don't seem to be the most organised in this area. I got bits and pieces throughout the day. It was me and one other seasonal ranger who then got taken, by one of the supervisors over to the heath to begin inductions to the site. We stopped firstly by Kenwood Nursery, which is to be my base. We then went down to Parliament Hill staff yard to pick up more of the uniform. We then went over to east heath staff yard, which is to be the base for Luke, the other seasonal ranger. We left him with the team leader there, and went back up to Kenwood Nursery.

I then met the team leader up there, who I would be with the rest of the day. I got a locker sorted out, and changed into my uniform. Then we went over to the extension where I sat in on my first meeting. It was one the people on my beat planned, and since I had started it was a good way to get introduced to everyone. It was mostly an observational meeting for me. After that it was over to Golder's Hill Park for the last bit of uniform collecting. Then it was back to Kenwood Nursery, and then home. Mind you, there was a lot of explaining that went on all day. I felt fortunate enough to already know quite a bit from my volunteer work, but still very much enjoyed hearing it all. Oh, and it was a gorgeous, warm day as well. We are do for a hot weekend, so I started at just the right time. I know that I will be hoping for some way to stay on after this is over, so people keep your fingers crossed for me!!!

I will of course keep people updated as I go on. I will be learning my beat more tomorrow, and I will fill you in on how my schedule will be. But from what I have learned so far, it is very reasonable. Man, I am SOOOOO pround to wear the green shirt that says Hampstead Heath on it, you have no idea. I will send pictures of me in uniform soon. Promise.

No comments: