Friday, May 05, 2006

Job duties

Well, I have finished my third day. All is going great. We have had really hot weather the past few days, I started at just the right time. You can imagine how great it is to be outside all day, seeing all the happy people and dogs, and being happy myself. One of the big things we do is litter picking. I know it doesn't sound exciting, but it is one of the fundamental requirements in the open space to keep it as clean as possible at all times. Really, who wouldn't want to keep the heath beautiful.

I have also, so far, helped in woodstaining some benches. All the benches in my beat are getting redone. With the hot weather they are drying real quick though. I have also helped deliver the Heath Hands newsletters to some local libraries. We have this great electric van which we drive around. Mind it is for small trips only. But the great thing about it is if you coast in it, it actually recharges it. And it is the most quiet vehicle you can drive. I haven't driven in myself yet, but having a license means I can if required to.

The base is pretty cool. It is quite big with a lot of recycling bins around. Inside is a near fully fitted kitchen. So for the first time at a job in my life, I will actually fix myself lunch there rather than at home and bringing it. I was given a cabinet, and already bought some food to make sandwiches and stuff. The break system is quite good too. For the early shift we start at 7:30am and go until 10am which is the first half hour break for breakfast. Then from 10:30 we work until 1:00pm when we have an hour lunch. Then we work from 2:00pm until 4:30pm when we go home. And everyone breaks at the same time. Which is great for conversation. One day a week we go home an hour early at 3:30pm because they go by bank hours. It is something I haden't heard of before. The days off are a bit like that too. You have the same two days off every week for three weeks, in my case thursday and friday, and the fourth week you get the weekend off. So, it is one 7 day stretch and the rest 5. So there is absolutely no chance of a long stretch of days. Also, the week goes from wednesday to tuesday. Apparently this goes back to when the corporation started, which happened to be on a wednesday. They have never changed it.

I will report more soon. And I will hopefully get some pictures of me in uniform and stuff soon too. I am so loving it!!!!!

No comments: