Sunday, February 19, 2006

Rest of Half Term

I spent Thursday with the kids putting up a bird nature trail and then helping them create birds out of paper. They cut out the body and wings, coloured them in and then we attached them with a paper fastener. I couldn't believe how creative and great some of the birds were. It is always so easy to forget how intelligent children are and how we loose that growing up. They have such a great imagination and creativity. Makes me wish I was a kid again. :) This week has been the first time in a very long time that I have worked with art projects. I did enjoy them when I was a kid, but I guess grew out of it.

On Friday I was back at the education centre on the heath. I was helping put coloured paper on some grass that we had made out of chicken wire and paper in the meadow section, as well as paper over chicken wire for an oak tree that is being made. The kids helped with all this, as well as making insects out of plastic utensils. You wouldn't believe how real these looked. I didn't make one, but was entranced in watching the kids plus this other volunteer, make one. I hope to be able to help with these kinds of things still when I become a ranger.

Lastly, yesterday on my volunteer session we were cutting and grubbing out trees in an ancient ditch. They wanted to keep it clear for the water as well as to help it remain a ditch. We also had to clear the leaves from the ditch to help with flow. All that kind of work is very satisfying, if not tiring. There was also a huge group that day, which is also rewarding because of all the talk you get to do. I have not met one person I don't get along with and love talking with all of them. They often have good stories to tell as well. I do love conservation, just wish it haden't taken so long in life to figure it out!!

No comments: